Fluoride is your key to healthy teeth
Fluoride is a natural mineral that aids in building strong teeth and in the prevention of cavities. In adults, fluoride treatments help to stop tooth decay by making the enamel, the outer protective layer of your teeth, more resistant to acidic attacks from bacteria and sugar. It can also reverse symptoms of early tooth decay. In the case of young children, fluoride treatment is an important part of the tooth-development process. A fluoride treatment is especially helpful with defending against plaque in attacking the enamel layer with acid to erode the teeth.
Your cavity risk can increase by:
- Drug and alcohol use
- Insufficient oral hygiene
- Poor diet
- Dry mouth, a decrease of saliva
- A weakened enamel
Fluoride prevents cavities in a couple of different ways:
- Fluoride treatment concentrates in the developing bones and teeth of children, aiding in the hardening of enamel in baby and adult teeth.
- In adults, fluoride helps to harden adult teeth enamel.
- Fluoride works during the natural occurrence of demineralization – the dissolving of calcium and phosphorous under the tooth’s surface – and remineralization – replenishing of the calcium and phosphorus in your mouth, hardening your teeth in the process.
Am I receiving enough fluoride?
Is your community drinking water fluoridated? Most municipal water supplies contain fluoride treatments in their drinking water. If so, simply utilizing toothpaste with fluoride will be sufficient for adults and children with optimal oral health. If fluoride treatments are not available in your community, speak to your dentist about other possible options for you and your family.
In addition, topical fluoride applications are available at St. Paul Family Dental Centre and may be recommended in your individualized hygiene program.
Are you wondering if fluoride dental treatment is right for you? Give us a call today by dialling 780-645-6028.